Do you also find gluten-free cookies difficult to make? Well, not any longer. Not only are my gluten-free oatmeal cookies super easy and very quick to make, but they are also very tasty, crunchy and chewy. Even my husband, normally not a big fan of sweets, really likes them. Not to mention my kids (and their friends), who are crazy about my oatmeal cookies!
They are perfect year-round cookies and very convenient for unexpected playdates of my kids. Also, with their spices cinnamon powder and grated lemon peel they make great last-minute Christmas cookies!
First, I turn on the oven to a temperature of 200 degrees Celsius (≈ 390 degrees Fahrenheit). Then I place softened butter, brown sugar and eggs into a big enough bowl and mix with an electric mixer until I get a creamy dough consistency.
Next, I put all dry ingredients, i.e. oat flour, oatmeal, baking powder, vanilla sugar, grated lemon peel, cinnamon powder and a pinch of salt, in an extra bowl and mix it thoroughly with a wooden spoon. It is especially important for the baking powder to be distributed evenly, as otherwise the cookies will raise unevenly.
Now, I add the dry ingredients to the sugar-butter-mix and mix everything shortly.
Next, I take two teaspoons and make small dough dumplings out of the dough which I put on the parchment paper covering the baking sheet. Conveniently enough, during the baking process the cookie dough will get more liquid and flow to the outside so I end up with round and flat oatmeal cookies (diameter of 5 cm/ 2 in. per cookie).
After about 12 to 15 minutes in the oven the cookie edges get brownish and I take them out to let them cool. It is important to not move them as long as they are still warm as they are very soft at this stage and get crispy and chewy only when they are cooled off.
Enjoy your very crispy and crunchy gluten-free oatmeal cookies!
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies
|Prep time:||Bake time:||Total time:||Yield:|
|15 mins||15 mins (per batch)||30 mins||70 cookies|
- 250 g [≈ 2 sticks plus 2 TBS ≈ 1-1/8 cups] unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g [≈ 1-1/3 cups plus 1 TBS] brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 g [≈ 1-1/2 cups] oat flour (certified gluten-free)
- 250 g [≈ 2-1/2 cups] oatmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder, gluten-free
- 2 tsp. vanilla sugar
- 1/2 lemon, organic (freshly grated lemon peel)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (≈ 390 °F) and put parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Make dough: Place butter, brown sugar and eggs in a big enough bowl and mix until creamy (best use an electric mixer).
- Put all “dry ingredients” in an extra bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add mix of dry ingredients to butter-sugar-egg mix and mix shortly.
- Take two teaspoons and make small dough dumplings. Put them on the parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for about 12 to 15 minutes (until edges are brown).
- Enjoy your very crispy and chewy oatmeal cookies!
Tips & Tricks:
- The gluten-free oatmeal cookies are still soft when you take them out of the oven. As soon as they are cooled out they are very nice and crunchy to eat.
- If you like, you can also add raisins to the dough.
g = gram
ml = milliliter
TBS = tablespoon = 15 ml
tsp. = teaspoon = 5 ml
1 cup = 1 cup [US] = 235 ml = 16 tablespoons (TBS)
1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup = 113 g (= 4 oz. = 8 TBS. = 24 tsp.)
1 inch (in or “) = 2.54 centimeters (cm) = 25.4 millimeters (mm)
The Gluten-Free Cottage (GFC)
© 2016 GLUTENFREECOTTAGE.COM ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Selka O´Lettie says
Nice and moist! I loved this recipe! If others want to try, I suggest with some honey and sugar and maybe some syrup? It really ads some sweetness to these cookies.
Love the recipe! Tried these out today and they were super easy, fast and tasty! Thank you:)
Hi bellyinlove, thanks for your kind email! So glad it you like the recipe!:-) It definitely is one of our favorite recipes at home.